As i'm still up sorting out my assignment, before I call it a day and get some sleep I thought i'd share my feelings on Britney's first of her 3 'suprise' performances.
When I first heard the rumour a few weeks ago, it really did excite me, because I am a very big fan of Britney (there's just something about her singing, showmanship and aura that finds me entranced by her). The rumours flying around were that she was going to be performing new songs from her upcomming album and possibly doing a 'Q and A' session.
Isn't that a lesson in successful PR?! Regardless of whether it was started intentionally or by accident, it has been worth it's weight in gold. Why? It produced a hype. Then all of a sudden, after tickets have been bought, it's been "apparently" cancelled for no clear cut reason. Yet again, another case of successful PR; it sustains the hype, even if it's initial reception was a bout of negativity - it kept people talking. 1st May arrives and sure enough after the media agency (or rather paparazzi agency) X17 captures Britney's tour bus being pulled over and eventually documents her arrival at the House of Blues venue.
Now for so much hype, what happens? The rumours are proved just that when Britney graces the stage at 10pm, having lip synched 5 of her previous songs (gathered from reports and footage on X17), albeit some remixed, briefly said "Thanks everyone for comming" (Ref: http://news.uk.msn.com/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=4833380) before exciting the stage at no later than 10.20pm.
I always try to reason when it comes to comments made about Britney, because some i think are unfair and/or unfounded. Let alone the fact that she has to put up with some much bull-i$h. But this has disappointed me. I can understand Britney really didn't have to do the concert (and the up comming two), however she did and I wish she had done more. It just seemed a half hearted attempt. She didn't attempt to sing live and in a full blown tour that doesn't bother me because of her usual strenguous dance routines. However, I think fans would have appreciated it more to hear her sing live. Also, from what i could gather some of the dance moves were reused and why not, some of them are exceptional, however it really doesn't keep it fresh when you have the same CD vocals blaring out, the same dance moves but just a different beat/backing track.
In some ways, perhaps this performance was meant to be short, bittersweet and mysterious (she only said a few things); that, to some extent, is the enigma which we know as Britney Spears - the performer. Yet I can't help but feel it was a bit of a sell out. Again, it goes to show the wonders of PR and media hype, it's not always accurate!
Britney <3 no less.
Thursday, 3 May 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment